Thursday, February 5, 2009

50th Post

This is the 50th post in my blog and is a tribute to my beloved grandma.
 Liew Seng Thye.
my grandma is a wonderful lady. since she was young, she did not had a very good life. she had to suffer through world war 2 at the age of 11. being up in the hills of pantai acheh together with all her brother n sisters through the war, it wasn't easy for a 11 year old kid. but she grew up to be a great mum, great person. 

she then got married to my grandfather and had four beautiful kids. my mum was the youngest one. prettiest one of course.. ahaha (thank you mum). and her life goes on, suffering from poorness, raising up four kids and all sorts of bad things you could ever imagine. probably that's where her bad temper came from. because all she ever knew to protect her kids was to be fierce. that's kinda like an old timers thinking and we cannot blame her for it. probably that's in her genes too.. haha. but she's a nice person. 

few years back, my grandma was happily living with me and mum in our little home downtown. i was still schooling back then and she would cook for me everyday. her vegetarian dishes was ok. but still, home cooked meals are the best right? and i heard mum telling me, that my grandma would carry home cooked meals to me in school all the way from P-ramlee flats to Batu Lanchang primary school. That's super amazing for an old lady to walk that far everyday..  crazy right.. 

so, after years pass by .. her health has gone down hill, as you can see the difference in her movements and speech. this is very common for old people to have all these .. i would hav them too right when i'm old? but grandma was different .. although she likes to brag a little when she hav pains all over her body , but i know she's a tough person. very tough. young people like me should take her as example. 

but, things weren't pretty right for my family. basically all my cousins are now in singapore working, fighting for their careers. leaving my grandma behind alone in the big house. the tale goes like this. one moment, all your grandchildrens and kids are around you running around.. another minute, they are all gone. leaving you behind all by yourself. that is very sad right? my grandma is old enough and i don't think she should be facing all these depressions right now. 

just for example during chinese new year. i still recall those days when i was a kid, and chinese new year was so fun. all my cousins would gather back in the house, running around playing. and when it comes to 12am, grandma would sit down and start giving out red packets. you would always see her smile in her face. where were those days? this year, she looked so bored and sad. i asked her, "nai-nai, are you ok?" and the only thing she replied me is, "i'm ok. why ask?" but i know inside me .. that she is depressed .. new year hasn't been the same anymore. where are all the laughters? where are all the noises? where are all the festivities? they are all gone.. 

grandma is such a wonderful person and i don't think its fair for her to face such things at her age now. she should be surrounded by her grandchildrens, kids and finishing her remaining years with smiles n laughters. isn't that what everyone wants when they get old? 

so, everyday i pray really hard so that grandma would stay healthy and strong to see me graduate and go home with pride. i always tell God, that if grandma would live as long to see me grow up and be successful in my career, please let me have the chance to repay all her hard work in raising me up. let me be by her side for her remaining years.. 

grandma, i love you. i hope you know it ok. 




No comments:

Post a Comment